We invite Lindy hoppers around the world to perform and post a video of this dance, in a global tribute to Frankie!
CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE VIDEOS AS WE ADD THEM TO THE BLOG!
Choreographed by his students Ewa Burak and Lennart Westerlund, this routine references some of Frankie’s signature steps that he used to teach. So get together with some friends, learn the choreo and post a video from your home town! You can add to the choreography, embellish it, lengthen it, shorten it, whatever you feel works. Get creative – this is Lindy hop!
Film it, then post/submit it in the comments below and we’ll add it to the website…
How to Participate – Step by Step
- Once the video is up, follow the video (and the notes below for reference) to learn the Frankie 99 choreography!
- Film your community dancing the choreo and upload it to YouTube with the tag Frankie99 and the title “Happy Frankie 99 from XXX” (ex. Happy Frankie 99 from Singapore, Happy Frankie 99 from Toronto, etc.)
- Be creative! The film might be at your Frankie 99 party or you might film it on another day in an interesting setting. Think costumes, props, location, anything you like to make it fun and festive.
- Share your video link in the comments below and we’ll add it to the website.
SONG: Tuxedo Junction (Erskine Hawkins) 1940
Click HERE to buy the song.
LET’S DO THE HOP – FRANKIE MANNING – 19 Songs picked by Frankies friends – This non profit project supports THE FRANKIE MANNING FOUNDATION.
Choreo Reference Notes:
1st Phrase – Swing Out Phrase* with Variations
1. Swing out from closed (Follower “Heels” variation)
2. Swing out (Follower Kick in & Away)
3. Swing out (Follower “Heels” variation)
4. Lindy Circle
2nd Phrase – Promenade Phrase
7. Promenade with Follower send out
8. Lindy Circle
3rd Phrase – 6 Count Phrase
1. Under the Arch/Tuck Turn with hand change to hand shake (6 Counts)
2. Right to right pass moving the Follower under the arm, then sent behind and to side. Leader moves the right to take the Follower’s hand. (6 Counts)
3. Traveling basic to prepare for Follower send out (6 Counts)
4. Tuck Turn with Follower arm block into a turn in place (6 Counts)
12. Lindy Circle (8 Counts)
4th Phrase – Cha Cha Phrase
13. Double Tuck Turn with Leader coming behind Follower. Leader replaces the last triple step with a step step to get on the same foot as the Follower.
14. Cha Cha step – Leader and Follower back and forth (2 four counts)
15. Cha Cha step – Leader and Follower back and forth (2 four counts)
16. Twist Twist Twist Twist Follow Spin – twist the Follower on 1,2,3,4 then release into a 1.5 turn to end in open position.
Visual Choreo Chart:
(click on the image to view a larger version)